The information and guidelines contained herein are to be used whenever applicable. In the event a development is to be constructed in stages, master utility plans are required prior to submittal of the first stage improvement plans. The master utility plans shall show all improvements, including interim (phased) and ultimate improvements. For information regarding these guidelines contact the Land Development Section of the Engineering Division, at (408) 586-3329.
Street layout shall be designed in conformance with Caltrans Highway Design Manual. Some factors to be considered are: safety, design speed, type of street, topography, geotechnical features, profile and utilities including drainage.
A. Design Criteria:
- Minimum Curve Radii:
- Major street - 700 feet
- Collector street - 400 feet
- Local street - 250 feet
- Street Intersections:
- 300 feet minimum distance (curb to curb) between street intersections.
- 150 feet minimum distance (curb to driveway edge) between street intersection and driveways.
- Street Intersection Curb Radii:
- 30 feet
- Longitudinal Slope:
- .006 ft/ft (minimum)
- Grade Break in Vertical Curves:
- 0.5% Max.
- If exceed 0.5%, provide a vertical curve
- Minimum Length of Vertical Curves:
- 50 feet
- Minimum Length of Tangents Between Centerline Curves:
- 50 feet
- Street Cross-slope:
- 2% minimum (typical)
- 4% maximum
- Cul-de-sac’s Length:
- 1000 feet maximum
- Cul-de-sac’s Minimum Face of Curb Radius:
- Residential - 40 feet
- Industrial - 60 feet
- Streets Ultimate Widths*:
TypeR/W WidthCurb Width
Major Arterial124'104'10’ Secondary Arterial90’70’10’ Collector60'40'10’ Local56'36'10’ Frontage Local40'30'10’ Frontage Collector44'34'10’ Frontage Industrial42'36'10’ Hillside Local48'32'10’ Hillside Collector56'36'10’ Hillside Major80'64'10’ Industrial Major80'68'10’ Industrial Minor60'48'10’
- * Excluding additional right-of-way at significant intersections to accommodate turning lanes.
- ** Both sides of street.
- Traffic Index and Pavement Section:
Thickness (Inch) **
Mini. Class II
AB (Inch) **
Local Residential Streets
Collector Residential Streets
Local Industrial Streets
Collector Industrial Streets
* The following criterion can be used to determine a simplified type of street:
Type Tributary Dwelling Units Traffic Volume Local up to 200 less than 1,400 ADT Collector 200 to 700 up to 5,400 ADT Major excess of 700 greater than 750 vphpl
NOTE: (VPHPL)-Vehicles per (highest) hour per lane (ADT)-Average daily traffic
** The actual depth of AC and AB shall be determined based on soil reports utilizing the State of California Flexible Pavement Design Method.
- “R” Value:
- Base - 78 minimum
- Sub-base - 50 minimum
B. Streets Shall Include the Following Improvements:
- Asphalt concrete paving on aggregate base
- Curb and gutter
- Sidewalk with wheel chair ramps
- Signs, striping and street name signs
- Bus stops (as required)
- Driveways serving 2 or more dwelling units shall be constructed to commercial
driveway standards. Driveways longer than 150' may require turn-around per the Fire Department.
- All hillside development will be a special case and require special considerations.
|455 East Calaveras Boulevard||Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm|
|Phone: (408) 586-3300|