Elected: November 2018
Term Expires: November 2022
CITY COUNCIL COMMITTEE ASSIGNMENTS
Library and Education Commission
Valley Water District Commission
San Jose/Santa Clara Treatment Plant Advisory Committee
Cities Association of Santa Clara County Board of Directors and Legislative Action Committee
Santa Clara County Library JPA Board of Directors
Bay Area Water Supply & Conservation Agency and SF Bay Area Regional Water System Financing Authority
Milpitas Chamber of Commerce
Santa Clara County Library Joint Powers Authority
Valley Transportation Authority (VTA) Congestion Management Program & Planning (CMPP)
BA in Humanities, San Jose State University
Teaching Credential CLAD/BCLAD emphasis, CSUMB
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE and MEMBERSHIPS (partial)
- FIRST 5 Santa of Clara County Commissioner
- Juvenile Justice Commissioner of Santa Clara County.
- Santa Clara County former Historical Heritage Commissioner
- Milpitas Unified School District Board Trustee 2000 to 2008.
- Open Space Authority of the Santa Clara Valley former Committee member
- East Valley Flood Control former Advisory Committee
- Safe Clean Water and Natural flood Protection Oversight Committee
- E4T Engineers 4 Tomorrow Chairwoman
- Sunnyhills Neighborhood Association member
- APALI Asian Pacific American Leadership Institute alumni
- Legal Aid Society former board member
- Democratic Activist for Women Now DAWN member
- Silicon Valley Hispanic Chamber of Commerce member
- Milpitas Chamber of Commerce member
- Former Milpitas Parks and Recreation Commissioner
- Former Milpitas Library Commissioner
- Former Milpitas Planning Commissioner
- American Association of University Women member
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. “Good Neighbor Award”, 2001
- United Neighborhoods “BRICC “ Award, 1992
- Portraits of Success recipient, 2010
- Milpitas Citizen of The Year Award, 2013
- CA Assembly Community Heroes Award, 2017
Carmen has strong roots in Milpitas. Her family has lived in Milpitas since 1964. As a child she attended Abel and Curtner Elementary schools, Russell Middle School, Samuel Ayer H.S and Milpitas High School.
Carmen is a semi retired teacher with 26 years of teaching experience under her belt. She continues to teach and contracts with several districts in the county including Milpitas Unified School District. She was a former Vice Mayor for the City of Milpitas in 2014-2016.
Carmen enjoys serving her community and collectively established two successful Family Resource Centers at Sunnyhills and Randal Elementary School. In 1991, she and Bob Pecot, a community activist (deceased) co-founded The Sunnyhills Improvement Association, which is now called the Sunnyhills Neighborhood Association. She continues to serve the community in many capacities.
In her spare time she enjoys reading, is a songwriter, singer, poetry, gardening, sewing, cooking & baking, spending time with her grandchildren and volunteers at convalescent homes during holidays.