Neighborhood Services - Ordinance Information
The Animal Regulation Ordinance was adopted to protect the public health, safety and welfare by imposing regulations on owners and other caretakers of animals and to reduce the cost of providing animal control services by regulating the uncontrolled breeding of dogs and cats. All dogs and cats over the age of 4 months are required to be licensed on an annual basis in Milpitas. Licenses may be obtained through San Jose Animal Care and Services or by completing this license application and sending or bringing it to San Jose Animal Care and Services with the proper licensing fee payment.
The Neighborhood Beautification Ordinance was adopted to enhance the quality and appearance of our community. It requires a minimum level of upkeep for properties and prevents activities that detract from a residential atmosphere.
This ordinance was adopted by City Council to ensure that shopping carts remain within the business’ property/vicinity and establishes fines to business’ and individuals for non-compliance.
The City of Milpitas Shopping Cart Ordinance will be strictly enforced. The Shopping Cart Ordinance states that,
- It is unlawful to either temporarily or permanently remove a shopping cart from a business premises or parking lot.
- Written approval from the owner or manager of the business establishment for cart removal will be valid for a period not to exceed 72 hours.
- Fines for unauthorized cart removal will result as follows:
- First violation is subject to a fine not to exceed $100.00
- Second violation within the year is subject to a fine not exceed $200.00
- Any additional violation within the year is subject to a fine of $500.00
The local businesses have also been informed of this ordinance. They are required to comply by taking measures to prevent shopping cart removal and provide a cart retrieval plan that meets City approval/ or enter into a contract with a City designated cart retrieval service. Noncompliance from the business owners/managers is subject to a civil fine of $1,000.00 and an additional fine of $50.00 for each additional day of noncompliance.
|Planning & Neighborhood Services||Hours:|
|455 East Calaveras Boulevard||Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm|
|Main Phone: (408) 586-3286|
|Graffiti Hotline: (408) 586-3079|
|Neighborhood Beautification Hotline: (408) 586-3074|
|Shopping Carts: (408) 500-2632|
Sponsored by the Community Advisory Commission