Neighborhood Services - Ordinance Information
The Neighborhood Beautification Ordinance was adopted to enhance the quality and appearance of our community. It requires a minimum level of upkeep for properties and prevents activities that detract from a residential atmosphere.
This ordinance was adopted by City Council to ensure that shopping carts remain within the business’ property/vicinity and establishes fines to business’ and individuals for non-compliance.
The City of Milpitas Shopping Cart Ordinance will be strictly enforced. The Shopping Cart Ordinance states that,
- It is unlawful to either temporarily or permanently remove a shopping cart from a business premises or parking lot.
- Written approval from the owner or manager of the business establishment for cart removal will be valid for a period not to exceed 72 hours.
- Fines for unauthorized cart removal will result as follows:
- First violation is subject to a fine not to exceed $100.00
- Second violation within the year is subject to a fine not exceed $200.00
- Any additional violation within the year is subject to a fine of $500.00
The local businesses have also been informed of this ordinance. They are required to comply by taking measures to prevent shopping cart removal and provide a cart retrieval plan that meets City approval/ or enter into a contract with a City designated cart retrieval service. Noncompliance from the business owners/managers is subject to a civil fine of $1,000.00 and an additional fine of $50.00 for each additional day of noncompliance.
|Planning & Neighborhood Services||Hours:|
|455 East Calaveras Boulevard||Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm|
|Main Phone: (408) 586-3071|
|Graffiti Hotline: (408) 586-3079|
|Neighborhood Beautification Hotline: (408) 586-3074|
|Shopping Carts: (408) 500-2632|
Sponsored by the Community Advisory Commission