Cleaning Up After A Flood
- Listen for news reports on whether the community’s water supply is safe to drink.
- Avoid floodwaters. Never walk, swim, drive or play in floodwater.
- Oil, gasoline or raw sewage may have contaminated the water. Underground or downed power lines may also have electrically charged the water.
- Stay away from downed power lines and report them to your power company.
- Return home only when authorities indicate it is safe.
- Service damaged septic tanks and leaching systems as soon as possible. Damaged sewage systems are serious health hazards.
- Clean and disinfect everything wet. Mud left from floodwater can contain sewage and chemicals.
- Any repairs or improvements greater than 50 percent of a structure’s value need to meet National Flood Insurance Program requirements. Contact the City Building Department to obtain more information