Emergency Preparedness Resources – First Aid Kit
It is always a good idea to have a first aid kit on hand for you or a family member to use. In any emergency, someone may be cut, burned or suffer other injuries. If you have basic first aid supplies, you are better prepared to help yourself and loved ones when accidents occur. Many injuries are not life threatening and do not require immediate medical attention. But simply having basic first aid supplies ready can help you stop bleeding, prevent infection and assist in decontamination.
Take a class in basic first aid and CPR.
Recommended First Aid kit essentials:
- Sterile dressings to stop bleeding.
- Cleansing agent/soap, antibiotic towelettes to disinfect.
- Antibiotic ointment to prevent infection.
- Burn ointment to prevent infection.
- Adhesive bandages in various sizes.
- Two pairs of latex or other sterile gloves.
- Eye wash solution to flush the eyes or as a general decontaminant.
- Prescription medications such as insulin, heart medicine and asthma inhalers.
- Scissors, tweezers and needle.
You can purchase a ready made first aid kit of different sizes at your local drug store. Feel free to expand and personalize your kit for your own family needs. You may also purchase a Red Cross first aid kit and other emergency supplies through the Red Cross store website at www.redcrossstore.org.
Click here to return to the main page and find out how you and your employees can be prepared for an emergency. You can also learn what to do in response to a specific disaster.