Emergency Preparedness Resources –
One of the instructions you may be given in an emergency is to shelter-in-place. This means you should stay indoors until authorities tell you it is safe or you are told to evacuate.
- Select a small, interior room, with no or few windows.
- Close and lock all windows and exterior doors.
- Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning systems. Close the fireplace damper.
- Bring your family emergency supply kit and make sure the radio is working and has fresh batteries.
- Bring your pets.
- It is ideal to have a hard-wired telephone in the room you select (cellular telephone equipment may be overwhelmed or damaged during an emergency).
- Use duct tape and plastic sheeting (heavier than food wrap) to seal all cracks around the door and any vents into the room.
- Listen to your radio or television for further instructions or updates. The City of Milpitas will broadcast emergency information on radio station 1620 AM and cable TV Channel 15.
- If you are in your car, close windows and turn off vents and air conditioning. Drive to a safe area or proceed as directed by authorities.
Click here to return to the main page and find out how you and your employees can be prepared for an emergency. You can also learn what to do in response to a specific disaster.