Recycling & Garbage Collection Services

Please call Republic Customer Service at 432-0444 Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. about broken carts, accepted recyclable items, set-out how-tos and other service related questions.

Visit Republic Services' official website to view the Recycling & Trash Pickup Holiday Schedule.

Senior Rate & Special Service:

The City of Milpitas values our seniors. There is a 50% cost reduction of the bi-monthly solid waste rate for residents 62 years and older. And, our seniors enrolled for the rate reduction may also receive up to two free bulky item pick-up services every year. Each pick-up is limited to two items, and there is an added fee for refrigerants.

Seniors must enroll in person at Milpitas City Hall, Monday - Friday, 8AM - 5PM; no appointment necessary. A photo identification with date of birth and Milpitas address is required!

Please Note: Garbage service is limited to 64-gallons per week with the Senior Rate Discount. You may use two 32-gallon plastic or metal garbage cans with lids OR a 64-gallon rented cart. The optional cart rental service, currently $5.52 bi-monthly, is NOT discounted. Call Republic Customer Service at 432-0444 for cart rental and bulky item pick-up information.

If You Live in a . . .
 Single Family Home or Duplex/Duet:

For weekly curbside collection, place flattened cardboard, used motor oil jugs, and your 32-gallon garbage cans at the curb, not in the street. Place the optional rented 96-gallon Republic Services Garbage cart, your Single Stream Recycling cart, and your yard trimmings cart in the street against the curb, in front of your home by 6 a.m. on collection day. Please remember to keep your recycling set out away from the sidewalk.

For garbage collection, you may use your own can or rent a wheeled 96-gallon garbage cart with a 200-pound capacity for an additional $5.52 bi-monthly fee per cart. Call Republic Services at 408-432-0444 for cart rentals.

Acceptable garbage containers are:

There is no limit to the number of garbage containers you may place at the curb. Any other containers, or cans and bags not meeting the above requirements, cannot be collected. Please read the information under Residential Recycling

Motor oil recycling is available using approved one gallon jugs. You may get jugs at Milpitas fire stations and Republic Services offices, 1601 Dixon Landing Road, Building #1.

Apartment Building or Complex:

Your type of garbage collection uses a shared bin. Please report overflowing garbage problems to your property owner or manager and call the City of Milpitas, Housing & Neighborhood Preservation at 408-586-3074 for additional information. Please read the information under Residential Recycling.

Townhome or Condominium:

Your type of garbage collection may be at the curb or use shared garbage bins. Please check with your homeowners association representative. If you have curbside collection, please follow the instructions for "Single Family Home," above. If you use shared garbage bins, ask your representative to call Republic Services at 408 432-0444 about garbage bins and carts. Please report overflowing garbage problems to your representative and call the City of Milpitas, Housing & Neighborhood Preservation at 408-586-3074. Please read the information under Residential Recycling.

Temporary Debris Box Haulers:

These haulers have a contract to conduct business within the City of Milpitas. Pricing and availability varies. Please be sure to ask the questions listed below and after the contracted haulers to receive the best price quotation possible.

Residents may place temporary debris boxes on private property (not on the street or blocking a sidewalk) for up to 30 days within any 60-day period. Please call 408-586-2680 for written consent to extend this time frame.

Questions to Ask:

  1. What sizes of containers are available?
  2. What are the surcharges and taxes?
  3. Is there a charge for drop-off AND pick-up?
  4. Do these charges include landfill disposal fees?
  5. What is the total charge?
  6. When is this size container available?
  7. When will you deliver AND pick-up?
  8. How will I be billed?

Engineering Department Hours:
455 East Calaveras Boulevard Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Phone: (408) 586-3300