California's Waste Facts:
- Californians produce over four and a half pounds of garbage a day.
- We create 170% more garbage now than we did in 1960.
- Of all that trash only 28% is recycled.
- More than 6 billion beverage containers were not recycled last year. That's throwing money and energy away!
Recycling is the first step, but we can "buy smart" too!
- Eliminate unwanted mail. Nearly 35 million trees are cut annually for mail that people don't even read. Call the City of Milpitas Recycling Hotline at 586-2680 for a free Junk Mail Reduction Kit.
- Have something weird to recycle? Call the Center for Development of Recycling (CDR) for refuse alternatives in Santa Clara County. CDR provides referrals to organizations that want your stuff. Call 800-533-8414.
- Use a cloth shopping bag. It's stronger than paper and plastic bags, and won't contribute to the tons of unnecessary trash in our landfills since it can be reused.>
- Buy only what you can use. Less packaging means less waste. Of all the garbage we generate, one-third is packaging that gets thrown away immediately. A large can of condensed soup costs 82% less than a package of microwave soup singles and creates 46% less waste! Ten percent of any product's price goes toward packaging.
- Use reusable dishes and silverware and cloth napkins for meals and parties. Use a reusable drink cup. Plastic and paper cups use natural resources and require toxic chemicals to make.
- Help close the recycling loop: Buy computer & wrapping paper, and stationary with recycled content. Look for three recycling arrows and the statement "Made with post consumer recycled paper."
- While shopping, read packaging to find these symbols:
REMEMBER! REDUCE, REUSE, and RECYCLE!
Call the City of Milpitas Recycling Hotline
at 586-2680 for FREE ideas!
Prevent Waste in the First Place
Recycling can offset garbage costs, extend useful landfill space and reduce our dependence on raw materials, but not all by itself.
Informed consumers reduce waste. Start when you shop:
- Buy products made with recycled content and less packaging.
- Stop using throw-away plates, cups and utensils.
- Shop with cloth totes or bring back paper bags.
- Buy in bulk whenever possible.
- Reuse packaging materials.
- Buy items in recyclable packaging, such as glass and plastic containers bottom-stamped with a 1 or 2.
For Economical Lunches:
- Use reusable plastic sandwich containers.
- Try a thermos for apple juice bought in the large size.
- Carry lunches in a tote bag or backpack.
For the Commute & Office:
- Bring a lightweight plastic coffee cup with safety lid -- and ask for a discount at the coffee shop!
- Bring washable plates and utensils for the lunchroom -- check charity stores for the best prices on individual items!
For the family picnic:
- Try cloth or plastic tablecloths for a festive & reusable look!
- Have a craft activity for kids to make streamers from previously-used paper!
- Offer a prize for "BYORP&F" (bring your own reusable plate and fork)!
|455 East Calaveras Boulevard||Monday-Friday: 8:00 am-5:00 pm|
|Phone: (408) 586-3300|