Property Protection MeasuresThere are several ways to prepare your property before a flood to protect it from flood hazards. The following examples may or may not be economically feasible or practical for every situation:
- Provide adequate drainage paths around structures on slopes.
- Elevate or relocate electrical panel boxes, furnaces, water heaters, and appliances to an area that is less likely to be flooded.
- Move essential items and valuables to the upper floors of your home if flooding is likely.
- Keep materials such as sandbags, plywood, and plastic sheeting handy for emergency waterproofing. Sandbags can be obtained at the City Corporation yard, located at 1265 North Milpitas Boulevard (408) 586-2600, and the Milpitas Sports Center, 1325 E. Calaveras Blvd, Hall Memorial Park. For other sandbag locations, call SCVWD at (408) 265-2600, or visit SCVWD Web Site.
- Anchor the structure to prevent flotation, collapse or lateral movement.
- Elevate homes so that the lowest floor is a minimum of 1 foot above the base flood elevation.