Emergency Preparedness Resources – Shelter-in-PlaceOne of the instructions you may be given in an emergency is to shelter-in-place. This means you should stay indoors until authorities tell you it is safe or you are told to evacuate.
- Select a small, interior room, with no or few windows.
- Close and lock all windows and exterior doors.
- Turn off all fans, heating and air conditioning systems. Close the fireplace damper.
- Bring your family emergency supply kit and make sure the radio is working and has fresh batteries.
- Bring your pets.
- It is ideal to have a hard-wired telephone in the room you select (cellular telephone equipment may be overwhelmed or damaged during an emergency).
- Use duct tape and plastic sheeting (heavier than food wrap) to seal all cracks around the door and any vents into the room.
- Listen to your radio or television for further instructions or updates. The City of Milpitas will broadcast emergency information on radio station 1620 AM and cable TV Channel 15.
- If you are in your car, close windows and turn off vents and air conditioning. Drive to a safe area or proceed as directed by authorities.