Milpitas residents desiring to advise the City Council may do so by serving on a City Commission. Appointments are made by the Mayor with the concurrence of the City Council. If you are interested in participating in one of the Commissions please contact the City Clerk’s office at (408) 586-3003 to request an application, or you may use the one provided on this website (see details below).

Consider applying to serve on 1 of 12 City of Milpitas Commissions and help to lead the City to success and have fun, too!

Requirements to serve on a Commission: (1) be a resident adult living in Milpitas (2) maintain an interest the subject area of a Commission, and (3) be available to attend all regular meetings of the Commission.

Select other eligibility requirements: 

Economic Development Commission – requires members from local business community (often non-residents)
Emergency Preparedness Commission – some from segments of business community
Planning Commission – must be registered voter at current address in Milpitas
Senior Advisory Commission – consists of senior residents
Veterans Commission –  members have served or are currently serving in US military
Youth Advisory Commission – students under age 18

Fillable Commission Form

Printable Commission Form

Planning Commission Form

Youth Commission Form

The Commission application form may be used for 11 of the City’s Commissions.

For Planning Commission, use this form and submit both the application and complete the supplemental questionnaire.

Commission Openings:

The City Clerk’s Office is currently accepting applications for the following Commissions:


Notice prepared pursuant to California Government Code §54974



Term of unscheduled vacancy expires:  December 2024

Appointments to City Commissions are made by the Mayor with the approval of the City Council.  Applications and information may be obtained from the City Clerk’s Office, 455 E. Calaveras Blvd., Milpitas, CA by calling 408-586-3003, or use fillable form on the web: .


Dated:  January 7, 2022

Wendy Wood
Milpitas City Clerk

Vacancy created by resignation of Aysha Mohsin


Arts Commission

Advises the City Council on matters pertaining to the Arts, performance or visual in the City of Milpitas.

Serves as an advisory body to the City Council on expenditure and selection of public art pieces.

Community Advisory Commission

Advises the City Council on matters affecting Milpitas citizens, especially those relating to community improvement, and Community Development Block Grants.

Economic Development and Trade Commission

Advises the City Council on business issues and designs, develops, and implements a comprehensive economic development program for the City of Milpitas.

Energy and Environmental Sustainability Commission

Recommend programs designed to reduce solid waste and monitor the City’s achievement of waste diversion goals.

Library and Education Advisory Commission

Advises the City Council on matters concerning the Milpitas Public Library.

Parks, Recreation, and Cultural Resources Commission

Advises the City Council regarding the operation and maintenance of recreation, leisure services, and historic preservation activities.

Planning Commission

Consists of seven members (Milpitas residents), appointed by the City Council to staggered terms of three years each, and makes land use decisions.

Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness Commission

Advises the City Council regarding emergency preparedness and disaster planning.

Senior Advisory Commission

Advises the City Council on matters pertaining to recreation, leisure, and nutrition services for the Senior Citizens of Milpitas.

Science, Technology, and Innovation Commission

Advises the City Council on matters of telecommunications and technology policy, legislation, and implementation at the local, state, and federal levels.

Veterans Commission

Founded on December 1, 2009, the Veterans Commission advises the Council on matters pertaining to Milpitas veterans.

Youth Advisory Commission

Advises the Council on matters pertaining to youth and teens in Milpitas.